Registration is now open for the 4th Annual Race for Kids Presented by Sydney Credit Union taking place Saturday June 15th, 2019. Adults play and Kids win!
What is Race for Kids....??
Race for Kids (RFK) is an urban adventure race where teams of 4 (age 18+) compete in a race to be the first team to complete a series of 10 challenging Checkpoints along the way. The race is designed to challenge the mind and body, relive the best times of your childhood and build team spirit.
There are prizes for the best team costumes (must include official RFK t-shirts), top fundraising team and a voucher for two anywhere WestJet flies* for the individual who raises the most donations by 11:59pm (est) on June 14th, 2019.
How can you participate....??
As an individual:
Enter a team on the official event page or make a donation to a participant or team via the event page by clicking here.
As a business:
Sponsor a Checkpoint and have your business showcased on our event page and other advertising. OR Donate prizes for the event or swag from your business for participants and teams.
Contact email@example.com for more info or call the club (902) 567-0240.
*please see official rules below
Official Rules and Regulations
Race for Kids – presented by Sydney Credit Union
The goal of the Race for Kids presented by Sydney Credit Union (herein referred to as RFK) is for participants and teams to enjoy themselves while taking part in a unique fundraising event for Boys and Girls Clubs of Cape Breton (herein referred to as BGCCB). This adventure race will allow participants to return to the best adventures of their childhood, to embrace the carefree days of being a kid, and to bond as a team as they challenge their skills while raising funds for all boys and girls to have the same opportunity. Participants are required to abide by the Rules and Regulations of the event provided below.
RFK (“The Event”) is administered by Boys and Girls Clubs of Cape Breton (“BGCCB”). There may be a registration fee of $10 per participant. In addition, to be eligible to win a Race and to receive Race-related prizes, each team must have raised and contributed to the Race for Kids event registration site a minimum fundraised amount of $360 ($400 if no registration fee is charged).
1. Date, Time, and Location of Race. The Race for Kids event (“The Race”) will take place on the following date: June 15, 2019 (“Event Day”) at the BGCCB-Whitney Pier Youth Club, 111 West Street, Sydney, NS at 12 noon. A five (5) minute head start will be given to the team that raises the most (combined funds) via the official event page by 11:59:59 pm June 14th, 2019.
On Event Day, BGCCB may hold a random draw for Prizes specific to the Race, as further described below (each being a “Random Draw”). Additional fundraising-based prizes may be awarded, as further described below.
Throughout these Rules and Regulations, any applicable Random Draws and any applicable fundraising-based prize selections or draws are referred to collectively as the “Event”. Prizes awarded to the winner(s) of or participants in a Race, to winner(s) of a Random Draw (where applicable), and to winner(s) of fundraising-based prizes are referred to as “Prizes”.
2. Checkpoint Challenges. The Race consists of 10-15 tasks at specified locations (each, a “Checkpoint Challenge” or “Challenge”), of which each team of four validly registered and eligible Race participants (a“Team”) must complete at all Challenges prior to crossing the finish line. Teams must decipher a clue (a “Checkpoint Clue”) to determine the location of each Checkpoint Challenge. Checkpoint Challenges may consist of a small puzzle or task that each Team will need to successfully complete, as determined by the Race for Kids official(s) (each, an “Official”) present at each Challenge, in order to receive a token certifying completion of the Challenge (a “Checkpoint Token”) all four members of a Team must be present at the Checkpoint Challenge location before beginning the Challenge. If there is more than one Team at a Checkpoint Challenge location, the teams will complete the Challenge on a first-come, first-served basis. In order to win a Race, all 4 Team members must be the first to reach the finish line with all Checkpoint Tokens in hand (including all Checkpoint Tokens from any Challenges and must have correctly solved the Race for Kids Final Puzzle (the “Final Puzzle”).
3. Tie-Breakers. In the case of a tie at the conclusion of a Race, an Official may assign a tie-breaking challenge to the tied Teams. The winner of any tie-breaking challenge (as determined by the Official in their sole and absolute discretion) will be the winner of the tie and of the applicable Race.
4. Travel. Travel in the course of a Race is only permitted by foot or designated RFK vehicles. Teams are not permitted to use any alternative mode of transportation during a Race. Teams must stay together at all times during a Race and must complete each Challenge as a team unless otherwise instructed by an Official.
5. Race t-shirts. Participants must wear official Race for Kids t-shirt at all times (unless instructed otherwise by the Officials) in such a way that it, and any printing on it, is visible at all times.
6. Assistance. Participants may not accept physical help, transportation, assistance, support, guidance and/or contributions of any kind towards the completion of a Race, individual Checkpoint Challenges, and the Final Puzzle from any persons other than their Team members, or as expressly permitted in these Rules & Regulations or by an Official. Participants may use smart phones for any portion of the Race unless expressly forbidden by an Official.
7. Issues with Challenges. The Releasees (defined in Section 25) will not be held responsible for any Checkpoint Challenge deemed to be offensive to Teams or participants. Failure to participate in any Checkpoint Challenge will result in the Team being required to sit out a time penalty, complete an alternate challenge or disqualification from a Race, as determined by the Official in their sole and absolute discretion. In the event a Checkpoint Challenge experiences a technical, mechanical, or other issue that prevents the completion of the Challenge by any Team, the Official may, in their sole and absolute discretion, require a Team to sit out a time penalty or complete an alternate challenge as substitute for completion of the Challenge.
8. Participant Conduct. All participants must obey all laws, regulations, bylaws and rules of the road and comply with the directions of the Officials, authorities and property/venue owners. The Releasees are not responsible for the actions of participants during the course of a Race.
9. Eligibility Requirements and Registration Donation. To be eligible to participate in a Race, participants must be a legal resident of Canada and must be eighteen (18) years of age or older on the Event Day. All participants must agree to and submit an Assumption of Risks, Waiver of Claims, Release and Indemnification Agreement (“Release”) to BGCCB. The Release is made available to participants at the time of event check-in, and must be agreed to and submitted at that time.Any participants who are eighteen years old and who reside in a jurisdiction where nineteen (19) years of age is the age of majority will be required to have a parent or legal guardian submit a signed copy of the Release on their behalf. Participants must register as a Team of four (4) eligible participants. If any member of a Team is absent on Event Day, the remaining Team members may still participate in a Race, but will be ineligible to win any Race-related Prizes. Alternatively, if a Team member is absent on Event Day, a Team may substitute in a new Team member, provided that (i) such substitute Team member must be eligible to participate in the Race, subject to the eligibility requirements set out above, and (ii) such substitute Team member must submit a signed copy of the Release to Boys and Girls Clubs of Canada prior to participating in the Race. Participants must raise and submit a combined non-refundable registration fee of $40 per Team ($10 per Team member). Registration must be submitted using the Race for Kids presented by Sydney Credit Union official event page https://sna.etapestry.com/fundraiser/BoysandGirlsClubsofCapeBreton/RFK2019/aboutEvent.do and all registrations must be complete by at least one hour before the Race starts. Teams that substitute a new Team member will not be required to submit an additional registration fee as described below for the substitute Team member, provided that the original Team member who is being substituted has previously completed such registration. Teams that include substitute Team members will continue to be eligible to win Race-related Prizes.
10. No Refund. Any donations made to a Team (and donations made by such Team members) that chooses not to compete in a Race, does not raise the minimum suggested amount and submit the required registration fee, or a team disqualified under these Rules & Regulations, will not be eligible for refunds.
11. Prize Eligibility. To be eligible to win a Race and receive Race-related Prizes: a. the Team must have raised and contributed to the Race for Kids event registration site a minimum fundraised amount of $360 (in addition to the registration fee detailed above);b. all four (4) Team members must be present and have participated in the Race from the start line to crossing the finish line and completing the Final Puzzle;c. the Team must present 10 Checkpoint Tokens (including all Checkpoint Tokens from any Challenges specified to be mandatory Challenges);d. the Team must be confirmed by the event Officials as having completed at least 10 Challenges (including any Challenges specified to be mandatory Challenges); ande. the Team must solve the Final Puzzle within the duration of the applicable Race
DISQUALIFICATION FROM RACE.
12. Disqualification. BGCCB and the Officials reserve the right to disqualify any Team or participant engaging in any behaviour contrary to these Rules & Regulations. This includes Teams or Participants that are acting in unsportsmanlike or illegal behaviour, are endangering their personal safety and well-being, or the safety and well-being of competing Teams or the general public, all as determined by the Officials in their sole and absolute discretion. If a participant is disqualified, their entire Team will also be disqualified and will not be permitted to continue competing in the applicable Race, or be eligible to receive any Race-related Prizes.
13. Confidential Knowledge. In the sole and absolute discretion of the BGCCB and the Officials, any person with confidential knowledge concerning a Race is NOT eligible to win that Race or to win any Race-related Prizes.
14. Amendment. BGCCB and the Officials reserve the right, to end, postpone or amend a Race, to amend or change these Rules and Regulations, or disqualify any participant(s), if for any reason they believe that participants or Teams may not be able to safely complete a Race, or for any other reason.
15. Prizes. The number, value and types of Prizes available to be won for the Race, will be published on the website no later than May 1, 2019. The number, value and types of Prizes available to be won for each Race may vary. Chances of winning a Race prize depend on the number, skill, and speed of the participants at the Race.
16. Fundraising Prize. One (1) Fundraising Prize will be awarded to the participant that raises the highest fundraising total for the Race by 11:59:59 pm Local Time on the day preceding the Event Day for the Race. The highest fundraising participant will be eligible to receive a travel voucher for one flight for two people from WestJet Airlines Ltd., with a retail value of $2,500. The voucher(s) are subject to the terms placed on them by their issuer. The voucher(s) cannot be exchanged or substituted for another prize of equal or lesser value, including cash. Chances of winning a Fundraising Prize depend on the number and fundraising skill of participants in each Race. To qualify for this prize the participant must have registered as a member of a team online via event website by 11:59:59 pm local time June 1st 2019.
17. Winner’s Selection, Release, and Fulfillment. Participants who have won a Race or otherwise been selected to receive a Prize will be announced at the after party for the Race. Before being confirmed as a winner and awarded a Prize, selected participants must:a. sign a liability and publicity release form (or have their parent/guardian sign if they are a minor in their jurisdiction of residence), in a form acceptable to BGCCB;b. provide proof of age and residency, in a form acceptable to BGCCBc. certify compliance with these Rules & Regulations, as applicable. If a selected participant is not present at the after party BGCCB, acting reasonably, will attempt to contact the selected participant at the telephone number provided on their Race registration within two (2) business days after the announcement at the after party or date of the Prize draw, whichever is later. In the event a selected participant cannot be contacted within two (2) business days, he or she will be disqualified and an alternate participant will be selected in accordance with these Rules and Regulations. Selected participants who are not present during the after party, and who are contacted successfully by BGCCB, must attend at the BGCCB, complete the requirements set out, and retrieve their Prize in person at the Club during the week following the announcement or notification of their eligibility to receive such Prize.
18. Publicity Rights & Release. By virtue of participating in a Race, or by accepting any Prize, each participant permits BGCCB, and any Race for Kids sponsors to use their name, city of residence and photograph and/or video image in any publicity or advertising with no additional compensation. Each participant further releases BGCCB, Race for Kids sponsors and their respective agents, officers, directors, employees and representatives from any and all liability damages, costs, expenses and claims arising out of or related to the Race or any Prize. The Releasees are not responsible for any distribution of any Prize between the participants on a winning Team.
19. Prize Details & Substitution. All dollar amounts mentioned are Canadian dollars. The winners must accept the applicable Prize as given. Prizes are not transferable. If a winner of any Prize does not pick up the Prize on Event Day, the Prize must be picked up by the winner from BGCCB in the week following the Event. In the event that all or any component of a Prize is unavailable, BGCCB reserves the right to substitute the Prize or Prize component with one of equal or greater value. Neither BGCCB nor any of the Releasees will be responsible if any factors beyond its reasonable control prevent any Prizes from being fulfilled. Boys and Girls Clubs of Canada is not responsible for providing insurance, financial or tax advice.
20. Prize Conditions. Prize winners are solely responsible for all costs not expressly described as being part of the Prize. In other words, if applicable, all costs associated with taxes, fuel/currency surcharges, ground transportation, meals, beverages, room service, gratuities, merchandise, telephone calls, taxis, required or recommended travel documentation, insurance, personal expenses of any kind or nature, and any applicable overnight layover are excluded. Any flight and hotel reservations are subject to availability, additional restrictions and blackout dates.
The Releasees are not responsible for any delay, postponement, suspension, unavailability, rescheduling or cancellation, for any reason, of any flights or hotels, and the Releasees will not compensate the Prize winner(s) in the event of any of the above. If applicable, the Prize winner(s) must travel within one year of being declared a winner, or risk forfeiting the Prize. If applicable, the winner(s) must have all necessary documentation to permit international travel (passports, visas etc.), and may not have any barrier to entry into their country of destination, or re-entry into Canada. If a winner does not utilize any part(s) of the Prize, then any such part(s) not utilized will be forfeited in its entirety and nothing will be substituted in its place. BGCCB and Race for Kids sponsors reserve the right at any time to place reasonable restrictions on the availability or use of a Prize or any component thereof. By accepting a Prize, the winner(s) and any travel companions agree to waive all recourse against the Releasees if any Prize or a component thereof does not prove satisfactory, either in whole or in part. Neither BGCCB nor Race for Kids sponsors will replace any lost or stolen tickets, vouchers, certificates or gift cards.
21. Interruptions. It is expressly understood that each Race may be filmed for promotional purposes including broadcast on television. In an effort to accommodate the execution/planning/filming of the Event, it may be necessary for the Officials to (i) augment these Rules and Regulations with verbal or written instructions during the Event, (ii) delay the start of, or interrupt and restart, any given challenge, or (iii) otherwise amend or intervene in the operation of the Event or any Race. The Officials shall, in their sole and absolute discretion, make reasonable efforts to ensure that, if there is any positive or negative impact to a team’s performance caused by such amendments or interventions, such impact will be equally balanced among all teams.
ADDITIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
22. Compliance with Rules. Participation in the Event requires all participants to abide by these Rules and Regulations. Participants who do not comply with these Rules and Regulations may be subject to disqualification, in the sole and absolute discretion of the Officials or BGCCB. BGCCB reserves the right to disqualify any entrant whose character or conduct, if declared to be the winner, could bring the reputation of the Race for Kids, its sponsors or the BGCCB into disrepute. BGCCB reserves the right to modify the Rules and Regulations in any way at any time it deems necessary or appropriate without materially affecting the terms and conditions of the Race for Kids.
23. Amendment, Suspension and Cancellation. BGCCB reserves the right to withdraw, amend or suspend the Event or any Race (or to amend these Rules and Regulations) in any way, in the event of an error, technical problem, computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failure or any other cause beyond the reasonable control of BGCWL that interferes with the proper conduct of the Event or any Race as contemplated by these Rules and Regulations. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or to undermine the legitimate operation of the Event or any Race in any way (as determined by BGCCB in its sole and absolute discretion) is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, BGCCB reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law. BGCCB reserves the right to cancel, amend or suspend the Event, or to amend these Rules and Regulations, in any way without prior notice or obligation, in the event of any accident, printing, administrative, or other error of any kind, or for any other reason whatsoever. Without limiting the generality of the forgoing, the BGCCB reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, to administer an alternate test of skill as it deems appropriate based on the circumstances and/or to comply with applicable law.
24. Adjustment. BGCCB reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, and without prior notice, to adjust any of the dates and/or timeframes stipulated in these Rules and Regulations, to the extent necessary, for purposes of verifying compliance by any entrant with these Rules and Regulations, or as a result of any technical or other problems, or in light of any other circumstances which, in the opinion of BGCWL, in its sole and absolute discretion, affect the proper administration of the Event as contemplated in these Rules and Regulations, or for any other reason.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY
25. Disclaimer. BGCCB, Race for Kids sponsors, their affiliates, Prize providers and all of their directors, officers, employees, agents, as well as their respective advertising and promotional agencies (collectively, the “Releasees”) assume no responsibility for late, lost, stolen, destroyed, misdirected, illegible or otherwise indecipherable registrations, for any failure or technical malfunction of any website, telephone networks, online computer systems or equipment, servers, access providers or software, poor reception or technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website, or any combination thereof. The Releasees further assume no liability for any injury or damage to a participant’s or any other person’s computer or other property related to or resulting from participating in the Event, or from accessing or downloading any material relating to the Event
26. Release. Nothing in these Rules and Regulations limits or excludes any liability of the Releasees for death or personal injury caused by their negligence, or for fraud or any other liability that cannot lawfully be limited or excluded. Subject to the foregoing, by participating in the Event, all participants (and their parent/legal guardian if participant is a minor in their jurisdiction of residence) agree to release and hold harmless the Releasees from any injury, loss or damage of any kind to persons or property, including but not limited to death, resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly from participation in any Event-related activities or from the acceptance, receipt, possession, use or misuse of any Prize or portion of any Prize. The Event activities are designed to be enjoyable and safe, but there is always a potential for danger; participants recognize and accept that by participating in the events, they may suffer bodily injury up to and including death.
CONSENT TO COLLECTION AND USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION.
27. By participating in the Event and voluntarily providing personal information including, but not limited to, name, address and telephone number (“Registrant Information”), each participant grants permission to BGCCB and to its affiliates to collect and use the Registrant Information to administer the Event and award the Prizes, and for any other purposes required or permitted by law.